Monckton gets evicted from Doha COP18 conference

UPDATE: Monckton is being deported from Qatar. Such a show of tolerance from the “tolerant left” who do these sorts of stunts all the time (sometimes illegally). Monckton has been ‘de-badged’, meaning he no longer has a visa to stay in Qatar and had 24 hours to leave the country.

UPDATE2: Monckton says “I was very bad” see below. We now have video. There doesn’t seem to be any “booing” after his statement as asserted by the press reports, and his statement was more than a sentence as reported.

UPDATE3: Monckton gives his account here

An excerpt from an E &E Newswire story

After the news conference, and as diplomats gathered for the climate conference president’s assessment of how close countries are to agreement, Monckton quietly slipped into the seat reserved for the delegation of Myanmar and clicked the button to speak.

“In the 16 years we have been coming to these conferences, there has been no global warming,” Monckton said as confused murmurs filled the hall and then turned into a chorus of boos.

The stunt infuriated negotiators and activists here who gather every year to address what they believe is one of the world’s top threats, the steady rise of man-made global warming.

As Monckton was escorted from the hall and security officers stripped him of his U.N. credentials, several people noted that just a few hours earlier a group of young activists had been thrown out of the convention center and deported. Their crime: unfurling an unauthorized banner calling for the Qatari hosts to lead the negotiations to a strong conclusion.

By late today, several activists attending the conference had posted calls to “deport Monckton” on their Twitter feeds

Full story:

Inhofe, Monckton crash U.N. talks with gusto

Jean Chemnick, E&E reporter

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

http://www.eenews.net/Greenwire/print/2012/12/06/2

h/t Marc Morano

=========================================================

Lord Monckton claims victory over climate change scare stories – Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthvideo/9728622/Lord-Monckton-claims-victory-over-climate-change-scare-stories.html

Excerpt:

Earlier in the week he appeared in a video promoted by US lobby group the Committee on a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) riding a camel to promote a “different perspective” of the talks.

The two-week meeting, due to end on Friday is deadlocked on modest goals such as aid and an extension of an existing UN-led plan to combat climate change into 2013.

The European Union, Australia, Ukraine, Norway, Switzerland are the main backers of Kyoto who are willing to extend legally binding cuts in emissions beyond 2012 until 2020.

But they account for less than 15 per cent of world emissions.

Russia, Japan and Canada have pulled out, saying it makes no sense to continue when big emerging nations led by China and India have no binding goals.

=======================================================

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/9728866/British-peer-ejected-from-UN-climate-talks-for-denouncing-protocol.html

[Monckton] has been banned for life from UN climate talks.

Speaking afterwards, he said he was acting on the “spur of the moment”.

“I don’t think it was my turn to talk, but the opportunity presented itself and I took it,” he said.

“I was very bad – I pressed the button and made a short statement.”

“I know it was bad of me, but I got some brief points across which the delegates probably didn’t expect.

“They have now taken my badge, but it’s not the end of the world.”

VIDEO: